Many divorce attorneys practice in the greater Sacramento area, so you might wonder which one can offer the best representation for your divorce case. At the Ewing Law Group, our attorneys have 30 years of experience handling divorce cases in Northern California. We are deeply familiar with the statutes and regulations pertaining to divorce in California and stay abreast of the latest legislative changes that impact our clients’ cases. When you choose the Ewing Law Group to act as your divorce attorneys, rest assured our team will leverage all of our skill and experience to guide you to a positive result in your divorce.
We are committed to providing responsive and comprehensive representation in every divorce case. You probably have lots of questions about your rights in terms of property and debt division, child custody and visitation
, and other aspects of your divorce. Rest assured, our team can provide complete and detailed answers to any questions you might have throughout your divorce proceedings.
California state law makes it relatively easy to qualify for filing a divorce petition. As long as you meet the state and county residency requirements, you can file for divorce. To start the process, the first step is to meet with a divorce attorney at the Ewing Law Group to complete the Petition for Dissolution. This document outlines your intentions and desires for the divorce. California law does not require you to name a specific cause or reason for your divorce. While it is certainly possible to file for divorce with cause in response to things like infidelity and spousal abuse, California also allows petitioners to file for the reason of “irreconcilable differences.”
The vast majority of divorces in California unfold under this justification. “Irreconcilable differences” simply refers to the breakdown of a marriage in which attempts at reconciliation have failed. If you need to end your marriage but your spouse has not technically done anything that would qualify for filing for divorce with cause, filing under irreconcilable differences is perfectly acceptable in California.
While California state law may make starting the divorce process relatively easy, the state also upholds strict statutes regarding how divorce cases unfold. Your divorce attorney will help you determine which state laws will come into play during your divorce proceedings and what to expect. Some of the most common areas of contention in California divorce cases include:
- Property and Debt Division. California is a community property state, meaning all property, assets, and debts obtained or incurred during the marriage are shared by the spouses equally. The court will generally strive for an even 50/50 split of a married couple’s assets and debts in divorce. Your divorce lawyer at the Ewing Law Group can help you establish legal ownership of your separate property and prepare a solid case for arguing property division for community property.
- Child Custody and Visitation. In a divorce where there are minor children, the family court has a legal obligation to protect the best interests of the children. Your divorce attorney can help you build a strong case for custody and ensure you get equal custody and visitation with your children following your divorce.
- Child Support. Child support is determined by many factors, including the incomes of the parents, percentage of custodial time, and who is providing the medical coverage for the children. Whether you expect to pay or receive child support, the attorneys at the Ewing Law Group will help ensure your child support is appropriate under current California child support laws.
- Domestic Violence Restraining Orders. Unfortunately, some divorces arise from domestic violence. The court can grant a protective order or restraining order rather quickly, ensuring your abuser is unable to harm you or your children as your divorce case unfolds. It is also important to understand that there does not have to be physical violence to obtain a Domestic Violence Restraining Order. Domestic violence can take many forms, and the experienced attorneys at the Ewing Law Group can guide you through this emotionally difficult time. If your spouse has abused or harmed you, the attorneys at the Ewing Law Group will help you hold your spouse or partner accountable to protect you and your family.
- Post-judgment Motions. Once you have your divorce decree, you may be able to return to court to renegotiate certain terms and conditions. For example, suppose you lost your job and need to reassess your child support and/or spousal support orders. In that case, the attorneys at the Ewing Law Group will assess your options and help you file the appropriate post-judgment motion to alter your divorce decree to account for the change in your income.
No one comes to the decision to divorce a spouse lightly. You may know separation is inevitable but have no idea where to start. You may become overwhelmed with the thought of leaving, and these frightening thoughts may be keeping you in an unhappy, unhealthy, and perhaps even unsafe marriage. You may know that you need to get out of a toxic relationship but are too scared to do so. You may be putting off a divorce because you do not know how long it will take or how much it will cost.
Ewing Law Group makes this first step easy: simply contact us. You may call us or fill out the form on this website, telling us about yourself and your situation. Describe what worries you, what you are afraid of, the current state of your relationship and living conditions, and anything else on your mind. We will listen carefully and provide specific steps forward. There is no need to worry about finding our office or traveling if you are unable to. We will come to you. We can visit you at your home or other location where you feel safe and comfortable. We understand the need to be discreet and that your safety may be at risk
If money is a concern, know that we are affordable and offer many payment options. We understand that finances are a major concern when it comes to divorce, and we will present all payment options to you. We will show you what sets us apart from other Sacramento divorce lawyers.
Ewing Law Group never forgets that you are a person whose divorce is deeply personal. You deserve a Sacramento divorce lawyer who never forgets that you are living through what may be one of the most traumatic experiences in your lifetime.
From your decision to pursue a divorce to its eventual outcome, you will likely have many questions. These questions may include where you will be living during this process. How will you pay your bills while finances are being figured out in the courts? Who will care for your children during the process? What rights do you have? You will need timely responses to these questions that will give you peace of mind as you continue to live your life during this trying time.
We aim to be as clear about your situation as possible. Confusing and unclear responses will only add to your stress. We assure you that we will be there for you every step of the way and will answer every question you have thoroughly and in a timely manner. We keep open communication with our clients. You will never feel in the dark when we are working for you. We approach every situation with our 30 years of experience and a lifetime of compassion.
We show compassion to more than just our clients. Many people other than yourself may be affected by a divorce. Your children’s well-being, and perhaps safety, is paramount. We never forget that real people are affected by these cases.
We also understand that divorce has many ramifications. Dissolving a marriage may affect your job. We can help make sure that you can sort out these issues and make sure the law is on your side. The emotional toll of a divorce may also affect your ability to work or the hours that you are able to put in. We will make sure that this is all taken into consideration when the courts look at your finances, including custody and child support if children are involved.
In some situations, divorce can be an urgent matter in your life. Once we represent you, we will begin fighting for you immediately. The path ahead does not need to be more difficult than it already is. Our experience and knowledge will lead you through it as quickly and thoroughly as possible, even if things are or become hostile with your spouse. We know our way through Sacramento courts, and we know how to get you the best possible outcome. We will not let the divorce be drawn out longer than is necessary, nor will we let you be bullied or harassed in court.
Ewing Law Group is respected in the Sacramento course system, and we understand the nuances and procedures of California Law. We know how to get things done. We use this knowledge to aggressively advocate for you and make sure that you have the strongest case possible for getting the property, custody, and financial support you deserve.
- Filling out legal forms. We will make sure that all forms are filled out properly. You will not need to worry about paperwork when we work for you.
- Support for the well-being of your children. As you redefine what your Sacramento family will look like, we will strive to make the transition as easy as possible, not just for you but for your children as well.
- Affordability. We are transparent with our costs and can offer you payment plans.
- Aggressively advocating for you. We have represented Sacramento clients since 2004 and understand what it takes to be a successful Sacramento divorce lawyer. We know our way through the Northern California court system.
- Confidence. We know what to expect from the other side. You can go into court knowing we have your back.
You deserve a life that allows you to be happy, fulfilled, and free from emotional or physical abuse. If this is no longer possible in your current marriage, reaching out to us can start you on a path to a new life. The most important thing to realize is that there is a way out. Ewing Law Group can help empower you on this path. We know the law, we know the Sacramento court system, and we have the experience to make sure you are not pushed around or taken advantage of in the divorce process. We strive to be everything you would expect out of an effective Sacramento divorce lawyer. We can help show you that you are not alone on this journey.
If you expect to divorce in the near future, a divorce attorney can help you reach the best possible outcome with your case. At the Ewing Law Group, our team is ready and able to handle the most difficult divorce cases in Northern California. Contact us today
and schedule your consultation with one of our experienced divorce lawyers today.